History

The Azel Gile House

 

Harlem Stonegate was originally referred to as the Azel Gile House.  As with many similar properties in the area, the Gile family is believed to have retained the property in their family for over a 150 years. 

 

In 1995, most of the stone house was renovated to modernize services and insulate.

 

The property, including the stone house, adjacent framed wing, and barns are described in "My Own Four Walls (Heritage Buildings in Bastard and South Burgess Township)" by Diane Haskins.  The historic accounts of the property below are taken from Diane's book.


1832

Amos Gile, an American emigrant, and his wife, Sally Homes, purchased 91 acres of Lot 18, Concession 5, in 1832 and commenced farming.  His son, Azel, born in 1812, continued to farm and bought an adjoining section of Lot 17 from the Crown, 26 years later.

 

In the 1851 census, the 191 acre farm was shown as having 69-acres cultivated, with the remaining still wooded.

1902

Although there was no listing of the Gile family in 1871, it would seem they were still farming here, since the 1881 census indicated that they continued to live on the property.  Ziba Gile along with her siblings, acquired title to the farm in 1902.  They continued to operate it until 1929 when Arthur Gile assumed ownership.  Following Arthur's death in 1981, the farm was inherited by his son, Arthur Gorden Gile -- the great-great-great grandson of Amos Gile.

1984

In 1984 the house was recorded as "a one-and-half story sandstone, rectangular in shape, with a long facade and a centre gable".  "The stones, cut and set in even courses, are naturally finished.  A large wooden wing extends to the rear eastern end of the house.  In the front gable is a rectangular window with a semi-circular head.  Single stack stone chimneys are located at the ends of the house.  Windows are double hung with a six over six pane arrangement, with stone lug sills and stone voussoirs".